Sunday, July 3, 2011

Birthday Blues and a great Gift!!!


My birthday was this past week…  I am not very fond of it these past two years.  I am very family oriented; I come from a large Italian family.  Family is friends, any chance we get we get together.  Anything we do is together.  The closest friends are the family.  This is how it has always been, I can tell my grandma anything and she has confided in me.  I am now 800 miles away from that sanctuary.  It is difficult.  I still escape to food.  For 10 days this is what I did, ate.  Bags of twizzelers, chocolate, pretzels, anything that sounded good, I ate it with out a care.  July may be ice-cream month, but it really should have been June.  I stopped in to Marble Slab wayyyy to many times. 

It really made me feel like junk in the end.  I did not run for 10 days.   I felt alone.  Which is so silly.  I have amazing friends and family down here.  Though I am not tied by blood or marriage to any one, these people are still here.  I have been with DBF for over a year and a half (1year 7months).  This is a big deal for me, his mom took us out to dinner for my birthday.  We sat, ate, and talked for hours.  I loved it.  Later, I sent her an e-mail thanking her for it, I expressed how it made me feel like I had family down here.  She responded with “you are family,” also that she is here for me and really would enjoy getting together more often.  I wanted to invite my friends over for dinner for my birthday, cook my families sauce.  Everyone was busy…or so I thought.  My girlfriend invited me over for a girls night.  Wine and hang out since she lost her job.  I get to her house late, couldn’t find a place to park all the while I am standing outside her house on the phone with my grandma telling her how I really haven’t celebrated my birthday (everyones too busy).  I was just so down.

I knock on the door.  My DBF answers…say wha?  I walk in and everyone yells “SURPRISE!”  I just stood there in shock, tears running down my face.  I have amazing friends and family down here.  I am so blessed to have this.   It was the best birthday ever, we made sushi and had wine.  Enjoyed each others company.  Everyone pitched in got me my own sushi making set.  I found out the the DBF and my best friend put it together and the DBF had my garmin sent there. 

So yes, this is right, I have my very own Garmin 405cx.  I love it.  Really trying to figure out what I want to name it.  He sure does have a mind of his own.  I have run 3 runs with it!   I feel so carefree !  I just strap it on and run!  Now more needing to decide which path I need to go.  I have also happily discovered that my “easy” pace is quite a bit faster than I thought.  I believed my “slow” running was in the 9min area.  NOPE.
8:10- 8:30  I vary a lot. 

What a happy surprise.  So since my birthday I have been back to me, running.  Though I don’t know if you guys have experienced this,  I am small = small wrists.  I put on the smaller band.  The Garmin still feels heavy and my arm swings in to my stomach sometimes.  Just have to pay attentions with my arm movement.  I hope I can get used to it. 

Well everyone, I hope you enjoy your independence day. 




No comments: